We are almost halfway through the year, and I thought it would be fun to see how far I’ve progressed on my 2017 Bucket List :)
- Eat at 10 local restaurants – We’ve probably eaten at 5 or 6 local restaurants, including 1 or 2 new ones.
Go berry picking– Yes! Killian and I finally did this and it was such a lovely afternoon. We picked blackberries at Lewis Farms a few weeks ago and it was the perfect time to go. There were so many ripe berries, and Killian was a natural at picking them. Afterwards we ate some homemade blueberry ice cream and it was absolutely delicious. Lewis Farms just closed for the season :( but next year we’ll be back!
Read at least 10 classics from my Classics Club list – Well I’ve been slacking on this one! I’ve only read 8 classics this year, and only 3 were on my Classics Club list. I’ve been halfway through Cranford for nearly two months now…
Gardening– I definitely enjoyed some gardening time earlier this spring! I planted a lot of flowers in the front yard and my husband and I started an herb and vegetable garden in the back yard. We’ve already eaten the first round of radishes (they were too spicy for me but my husband loved them) and we’ll be able to eat some green beans soon! It’s nice to be able to go outside and pick some herbs to season dinner with, and gardening itself is very relaxing.
The petunias around the mailbox are HUGE now,, and so are the plants in the back yard.
- Write a novel! –I think the reason I’m actually writing this blog post is because I’m procrastinating on my book. But I really am writing a novel this year! At first I was going to write about this one book idea I had been musing over for almost 3 years, but then one day about 6-8 weeks ago I got a new idea that started consuming me. I outlined it and wrote several scenes within a week, and then I decided to just put the other story on the table for now. I don’t have a title for the book I’m currently working on, but I can tell you that I’m about 30 pages in and it’s of the time travel/historical fiction persuasion. My goal is to have the first draft completed by the end of the year, hopefully sooner :)
- Take a week off– We’re planning on taking a week vacation around labor day, hopefully to the mountains or someplace refreshing and secluded.
- See Hamilton! – Ha, ha, silly me got the dates wrong for this tour. Hamilton is coming to Charlotte next year :( but speaking of musicals, has anyone else become obsessed with Dear Evan Hanson? My husband and I fell in love with this performance at the Tony’s and now we can’t stop listening to it!
Finish decorating my library– I did this! My happy place is all decorated and organized (with the exception of a couple of boxes), and I do most of my writing up there, now. It still serves as our guest room, so I try to use it as much as possible when we don’t have guests, but I also write a lot at the local library.
- Finish reading
Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fireand Order of the Phoenix with Matt – Ha, I forgot that I put this on my bucket list. We did finish GoF, but we are only two chapters into OotP. I need to start reading it again!
- Volunteer more – This is still something I need to work on. I’ve done more volunteering at the library, but I’m still looking for some new organizations to volunteer with.
So I’m about halfway through after all! 4.5/9 bucket list items, since #7 isn’t applicable this year, unfortunately. But I’m excited that I’m actually making progress :)
4 thoughts on “Bucket List Update!”
This is a great bucket list! I had forgotten about it. I’ve been wanting to go berry picking with Jake, but last year I was super pregnant and uncomfortable and this year we have Teddy and he can’t walk yet (and bending over constantly with him in a carrier seems pretty tough). So maybe next year will be our year! Jake is obsessed with picking these puny little strawberries that grow wild in our yard (they never get big enough to eat, unfortunately), so I bet he would love it.
I’m so proud of you for working on your novel! I restarted mine that I had started like 5 years ago, and then just quit again at some point. I recently read Lauren Graham’s book Talking as Fast as I Can and she actually addresses the stress of writing a book (and the guilt on the days that you don’t find time to write)! Her Hollywood screenwriter friend lays out a great plan for making time to write every single day, and I actually typed it out on my computer so that I could hang onto it after returning the book to the library. I’ll send it your way, in case you might find it useful!
On Jun 22, 2017 9:31 AM, “macarons & paperbacks” wrote:
> Maggie @ macarons & paperbacks posted: “We are almost halfway through the > year, and I thought it would be fun to see how far I’ve progressed on my > 2017 Bucket List :) Eat at 10 local restaurants – We’ve probably eaten at 5 > or 6 local restaurants, including 1 or 2 new ones. Go berry picking ” >
Oh thanks! That would be really helpful. I’m gonna send you some helpful things I’ve found, too :)
I totally understand not getting around to berry picking. Our local berry picking farm is literally 2 miles from our house and this is the first year we actually went (it was a little further away before we moved, but still…it took me 3 summers!). I hardly went outside at all when I was pregnant in the dead of summer. The heat was miserable.
I just saw that Hamilton is coming to Durham next year, too! I can’t wait! Also – I loved Dear Evan Hansen. Have you listened to Come From Away? I just sobbed through the entire soundtrack. Not as good for singing along, but a really moving show.
Oh really?! Well Durham is closer so maybe we’ll go there instead :)
I haven’t listened to Come From Away…yet! But I will! It looks emotional.