Hello! It’s been a while! But I have the most amazing excuse for why I haven’t blogged in a month…
I HAD A BABY!!!
Introducing Killian (aka “Little Baby French Fry,” as I’ve been calling him the past nine months):
Isn’t he the most precious thing ever? (Yes, I’m biased. I’m a mom) One of these days I will get around to sharing my birth story, but right now I’m trying to frantically publish this highlights post before Baby K wakes up from his nap!
I read 2 books:
Not bad considering how occupied I was last month with checking off last minute items from my to-do list, having a baby, and spending time with visiting family members :)
Also, I’m in love with The Lunar Chronicles series. I feel kind of bad that I waited until now to start it, but at the same time that means I didn’t have to wait impatiently for the sequels to be released. Win! All I have to wait for is my turn to check out Winter at the library (I’m ~10 on the waitlist).
I’m still behind on some reviews, but I’ll get them up eventually!
Most Popular Posts:
August & September Highlights
Ever After’s Château de Hautefort (I love that this post is still so popular after a year!)
What I Watched:
I finally had time to catch up on 3 seasons of Sleepy Hollow! I started watching this show when it first came out, but then I got too busy and I was already watching so many other shows that I decided to save it for a rainy day, or in this case the last weeks of pregnancy/late night nursing sessions with Killian. I’m still finishing up the second season but I. Am. Obsessed. Colonial literary character from one of my favorite gothic short stories + fantasy and crime drama = happy Maggie. (Also, I love teasing my husband about how cute Ichabod Crane is. To be honest, though, my husband could totally pull off the cosplay)
- Having a baby! – It was the hardest, most painful experience of my life (childbirth is no joke, especially sans pain medication), but nothing can compare to the love I feel for my little french fry!
- Visits from family members – My mom, who was there with me in the delivery room, stayed with us for the first week and a half of Killian’s life, which was extremely helpful, especially in the mornings/early afternoons when she held him so I could shower and eat. My dad also visited for a couple of days when we were at the hospital. Killian came 4 days early but really he came at the most perfect time because my mom and husband were able to be with me constantly those first few days and also we were able to get settled in at home before my in-laws arrived from France. Having them visiting was special and helpful because we haven’t seen them in over a year and also my mother-in-law cooked every meal for us for a whole week (man, did we miss French cuisine!). The months leading up to my due date I had been so worried and stressed out about having people visiting, but it ended up being the best thing because I had so much help at home which led to me recovering pretty quickly and I also had company so I didn’t get any long-term baby blues (I did have a couple crying fests in those first few days but everyone totally understood and related). My sister also visited this week and she had a lot of fun snuggling with her nephew :)
- Spending time with friends – I love autumn and lots of quality friend & family time. In October I went to a friend’s Pinterest party and we continued to host our Marvel movie nights (where our fellow geeky friends come over each week to watch the Marvel Cinematic Universe movies with us).
- Simply enjoying life :) – Becoming a parent seemed like the scariest thing ever until it actually happened; everything changed but it wasn’t hard to transition. My life now revolves around my sweet baby & I wouldn’t want it any other way. Also, baby cuddle time is the best!
Looking forward to in November:
- More family time :)
- Thanksgiving – we’re hosting it this year!
- Reading – I’m in a really good reading mood so far this month, which is awesome because I have time to read while I’m nursing (Killian takes his precious time nursing, which is actually a good thing because he rarely spits up).
- Star Wars marathon – like our Marvel marathon, our friends in town are hosting a Star Wars marathon each weekend to gear up for The Force Awakens next month. I love movie marathons with friends!
What were some of your biggest highlights from October? Any good book or tv show recommendations?
21 thoughts on “October Highlights!”
What a wonderful month you had! Killian is just so precious. I love seeing his pictures on IG and Facebook! Glad that you are recovering well and feeling good emotionally.
Oh my, what wonderful news! He is sooooo cute!! Congratulations to you both. I’m glad to hear that the transition was relatively easy. Now you have so many wonderful moments to look forward to. All the best!
Congratulations! He’s so darling!
Congratulations! Your little french fry is one beautiful little guy! Enjoy every moment. :)
So glad that you’re having such a good transition! When Jake was born, we lived far away from family and it was ROUGH. I think baby #2 will be easier (but in other ways harder because Jake will be running around).
Yeah, I can see how tough it would be if I hadn’t had family around. Best wishes for you during this pregnancy and hopefully it won’t be too chaotic with a toddler and a baby ;)
Congratulations! He looks like a completely perfect tiny person :-) And yes, I LOVED nursing because I could read and read and read and read. Enjoy!
Thank you!!! I can’t stop staring at him most of the time :)
And yes, I’ve read several good books over the past few weeks while nursing him. It’s a great way for me to relax as well :)
Congrats! Your little boy is so cute! And yay for Marvel and Star Wars movie marathons!
Thank you!!! And yes, they’ve been a great way to spend time with friends :)
Awwww! He is absolutely adorable! The early months are challenging, but so amazing and rewarding. Congratulations! I love his name, by the way. Do you have a story of how you picked it?
Ha–it’s a funny story. So my mother-in-law sent us this little book of baby names from France and the only boy’s name in there that we both liked was Killian, and the reason we liked it is because it’s the name of the Captain Hook character from Once Upon a Time (one of our favorite tv shows). It started out as just a joke name for us, but the more we tried to actually pick out a name, the more frustrated we got and the more we actually started liking the name Killian as a serious candidate. It’s an Irish name, and my family has Irish roots, but the most important thing for us is that it was pronounceable in both France and the States.
Pingback: November Highlights! | macarons & paperbacks
Congratulations to you and your husband! Killian is such a handsome little guy!!
A very very belated congratulations! So happy that Killian is here and bringing so much joy.